Ohio Insurance Requirements.
This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.
Resident agents are required to complete 24 hours of continuing education to include 3 hours of ethics every two years. Title Agents are required to complete 12 hours of CE credits every two years, of which 10 are Title Specific and 2 Ethics. Persons holding a Title License in addition to a resident agent license must complete 24 hours of approved continuing education, 10 of which must be title specific and 3 of which must be approved as ethics specific. There is not a specific title-ethics category, any course with ethics credits will be compliant for the title agent.
Major Lines Licensee: 24 total credit hours - at least 3 must be Ethics
Surety Bail Bond Licensee: 7 total credit hours - 1 credit Ethics + 6 credits specific to Surety Bail Bond
Title Licensee: 12 total credit hours - 10 credits Title specific + 2 credits Ethics
Viatical Settlement Licensee: 15 total credit hours - all 15 must be Viatical specific
Limited Lines Licensee: No continuing education requirement
• Cape does not allow partial credits for classroom or self-study courses.
All Licensees will be required to have their credits BANKED (banked means the course must be completed and reported) for completed courses by the last day of their birth month biennially
Complete all required continuing education courses before you submit your renewal application. Please note that education providers have 15 days from the completion of a course to report credits to the Department. Cape reports credits the next business day.
Once the state has received all of your credits, you can go here to complete your license renewal online: Ohio Department of Insurance - Licensing
Approved Course Delivery Methods
• Independent self-study online or written courses (passing grade of 70% required on final exam)
• Interactive Online (students must pass each inquiry section with 100% in order to receive credit for the course)
• Webinar (Distance Learning)
Self-study final exams are closed book and must be completed independently. Interactive Online courses do not have a final exam.
Course Subject Requirements
• Agents may take any approved courses with the exception of title agents who must take title specific courses.
• Individuals who intend to sell LTC must complete a one-time 8 hour course and an ongoing requirement of 4-hours every two years.
• Individuals who intend to sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3 credit hour course.
*Ohio insurance agents will need to comply with Ohio's new rule titled "Suitability in Annuity Transactions". An Agent who engages in the sale, solicitation or negotiation of annuity products must complete a one-time four (4) credit training course. Insurance agents who hold a life insurance or variable annuity line of authority on the effective date and who desire to sell annuities must complete the annuity training course within six (6) months after the effective date.
Resident agents who hold a Major Lines License may carryover up to 12 credits during each renewal period. All carryover credits are applied as "General" credits. If the same course is taken more than once within a renewal period, the duplicate course(s) will not count towards the credits applicable to carry over to the next renewal period.
Courses may not be taken more than once within the same reporting period
• Those who have been granted inactive status by the Superintendent
• Agents who hold one or more limited authority licenses but do not hold any other type of agent license.
• Non-resident producers who reside in states with CE requirements, as long as the state has a reciprocal agreement with Ohio
Cape will submit your credit hours to ODI (Ohio Department of Insurance) the next business day of the completion of the course. DO NOT SEND course completion certificates to the department of insurance, they are provided for your personal records only.
For more information please contact the Ohio Department of Insurance directly at 614-644-2665 or visit https://gateway.insurance.ohio.gov/UI/ODI.Agent.Public.UI/AgentLocator.mvc/DisplaySearch to look up your license transcript.
Ohio Insurance Department
50 West Town Street 3rd Floor - Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43215
Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921
Or email us at: email@example.com